19 January 2010

Tuesday

Just in case David doesn't know how much he is missed -- we were so late getting up this morning!!! I have to turn that alarm up so it doesn't just blend in with sleep. We did make it to school on time and we were lucky that we have food in the freezer - toasted thawed pancakes are more than quick!

Julia would really rather not go to school (she likes to say, "no, thank you"), but today my seriousness -- not anger or frustration -- seemed to communicate. I do wish I could view myself from the outside.

We made it to school on time and Julia couldn't wait to sit down and start her journaling -- she starts off drawing and then writes a bit -- not at all intelligible without great patience and help from her, but she is willing to do both.

That brings me to fish oil. Julia has been taking 1.5 kid dose of fish oil since the summer. I thought it was doing some good but was not sure where. We took her
off of it when we started the Adderall. After 2 weeks we started again because
I was sure there was no drug interaction. Although the 7.5 mg of Adderall helps give Julia a bit of attention, she was irritable, grumpy and short tempered -- much more so that before the med and I thought it was a side effect. But I think it is just Julia off of fish oil. Within two weeks the bad moods have abated. My autism coordinator doc is putting her on 2 grams although we have to build up to it. Right now she is up to .8 gram a day and it will be another two or three weeks before we get her up to 2 grams. I am interested to see how she does. I would so much rather she do fish oil than another med.

Almost forgot to add this - Julia played a game last night and asked to play it again and again!!! I could not be more excited. I have been searching and buying games for Christmas and her birthday and I am finally understand what kind of thing she needs. Topsy Turtle is the one that has finally captured her, and Hyperdash and Wiggly Caterpillar (??) are also good. Not board games, but taking turns and cause and effect. It is more than great!

1 comment:

Sharon said...

We have our M taking a tablespoon of Udo's Oil DHA 3 6 9 blend. It's been over a year now. We never saw a difference, but we definitely won't stop it. We are now trying Amino Acids with her as well.