27 January 2010

Julia had a bad tantrum in school yesterday. She is more articulate when she talks about her behavior now and we were able to talk about what went on. She says she is scared but when we talk further, she is really anxious about her work. I am not sure why, and since why is the tough question for Julia to answer, I don't really expect a cogent response. She says the work is too hard, but it is work she has done before (writing out her words of the week, cutting them out and pasting them on another sheet of paper) and done well. She does not like to do the work and so I wonder if it is that she does not want to make the effort to do the work or if on some level she does not understand what is being asked of her. Can we work at the cause in this case? Can we find the cause?

I am wondering about anxiety. She was having trouble getting into the school building because of all the noisy locket noise and we have solved that by having her get in early and settled to work before other kids come in. Now, it is getting the work started. Is it the same anxiety transferred to another thing? Or is it something different?

Julia and I have done some tapping before, but I want to put us on a regular diet of doing it a few times a day. Another thing that I have a hard time finding time to do, but I keep running into people who have used it and who recommend it.

Another thing that I discussed with Ginny this morning during school drop off (which now takes about 20 minutes of settling Julia into her classroom before the other kids come in off the playground) was Julia's world of fantasy. I see that when she get afraid or anxious, she goes more into her fantasy world, but she also goes into it for fun or whenever she is bored. It is her escape place. I ask her to be present sometimes and Ginny does this at school too. How much of her fantasy world she we take away? Is she ready to abandon it and if not, should we be letting her indulge in fantasy until she is ready to leave? On the other hand, is she so used to that world that she is stuck there?

Tapping script 1:

Even though I am anxious and worried, I am learning to calm myself down.
Even though I am anxious and worried, I am a smart girl who can do my school work.
Even though I am anxious and worried, I can do all the work my teachers tell me to do.

I have to ask more questions about this.


More later.

No comments: