05 January 2010

Julia had a better day at school today than she did yesterday. And she was in an incredibly good mood when she came home, worked with a therapist, ate dinner, read with me, watched tv, and went upstairs to bed with her dad. She is still talking very fast at night but her activity level has gone down. She is happier than she has been for awhile.

After supper we worked on reading. We have finished The Princess and the Frog book that we were working on, and so, we started reviewing all of our sight words and will be reading the books that we've worked on. I have been using this process for a long time now, but didn't really think that I had a process until very recently. It is a Suzuki-like procedure -- learning new pieces -- words and books in the case -- while keeping the old pieces active. Reading "More Speghetti, I Say" tonight, Julia enjoyed reading. It was not as hard for her to read as the new books we work on. She enjoyed the familiarity.

Cheshire suggested that we do more than just reading and include playing with words. I've felt at a loss for what to do that would interest Julia, but yesterday, I just plunged in with a new game the Robin sent (Thank you for that wonderful box of stuff, Robin. I am saving the dinos for Julia's birthday in two weeks!) and playing with words shapes So far I have no inspired interest, but I've only just begun. If I can teach Julia to enjoy a guessing game, I should be crowned queen!

No comments: