07 January 2010

Snow, snow, snow. The last week has been very cold, very blue skies, and no snow. A feeling grows day by day, that waiting for the other shoe to drop, for the sky to fall, for something -- well, just waiting for snow, more snow. And today that fresh blanket fell.

When I asked Julia about today at school, she told me that she didn't hit anyone, she didn't throw snow or ice, she only pulled Sheila's hair. Sheila is one of the aide's who work with her and she was trying to get Julia to do math.

The person who was supervising the playground yesterday when Julia threw the ice at her classmate (cutting his eye), said that he thought that Julia meant to hit the boy, but Sheila said that this boy was one of the kids that teased and bothered Julia last year in the playground, and that maybe now, he will not bother her.

Oh, oh, my. Sometimes I don't even know how to form an opinion.

The snow was too much for me to drive in -- no, I am not a real native yet -- and I cancelled attachment therapy today and Julia and I came home after school. We had about an hour before a therapist came and so we worked on her sight word review and then I tried playing some with words.

I print four or five words on a line and put small squares and taller rectangles around the letters. Then I do another line of the squares and rectangles in the shape of those words and she has to fill in the shapes with the words. Finally, I make another set of shapes into words and Julia guesses letters to make a new word or phrase. Julia still needs help with all parts of this, especially the guessing of the letters. Guessing is something that is beyond her ability. Like playing games although little by little, and it will still be a long time, she is learning games.

I so hope that one day some of this is fun, just as it is supposed to be.

No comments: