01 January 2010

Be the change . . .

The new year is in, and as arbitrary as our time keeping in, I am ready for the change. Each year I adopt a motto to use as my inspiration for the year. Sometimes I don't change the motto until March or July because I have not found a new one or because I just have more business with the old one. This morning a motto jumped out at me, from a post by a friend. It is almost or surely a cliche by now, and at the same time, it is humbling to take on a motto uttered by someone who lived what he talked about, but still it will be mine with all of its baggage for this year:

Be the change you want to see in the world.
-- Mahatma Gandhi
This is a great time for resolutions and maybe I will add them later. Right now, I set at my desk looking at a gray sky and a bright winter sun. It has not snowed in the last 24 hours and so I don't have to clean it up today -- snow at this time of year is worse than weeds in June! the bare trees and telephone wires slice and partition the sky into smaller irregular patches. No one is driving although it is past noon and the houses that I can see are dark and quiet.
Julia is playing with her leapster; David is napping. I put a host of dirty dishes in to the dishwasher . I have morning chores and a shower and then we are off to an open house hosted by David's theatre friends.
Now, there is a resolution -- to get involved with Madison theater to see if it still interests me.

No comments: