13 January 2010

Tonight, after we read stories and turned out the light, Julia said: "Mommy, the kids don't understand me." What kids, I asked. "The kids in school. They don't understand." I asked her what she meant and she lost her clarity, but said that, "Julia gets angry, Julia gets frustrated." She told me that she had to learn to get calm. And then she talked about Emma and Peyton, two little girls in her class.

And then, once again, she turned over and went to sleep. I feel, and I am not at all sure that this is really what is happening, that Julia is calming down, that she is mellowing out at night, calming down at the end of day, and that she finds that she had things to say to me.

During out team meeting tonight, our meeting with as many of the line therapists as can make it and our lead therapist, Julia threw her arms around me and asked me if I would be her partner. We had been talking about a game and it was very sweet.

I went to the doctor who is our autism consultant today. We talked for an entire hour. What luxury! We talked about drugs and vitamins, we talked about traditional western medicine and the vitamins, supplements, and other treatments of the DAN doctors. He believes in using what works. We talked about all of the therapy that Julia receives and he had suggestions on how to tweak her therapy. I asked him so many of my questions and he offered his advice. He suggested that I increase her Fish Oil dose and when we get her Hep B checked, to add some tests to her labs. I will see him again in March.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My pediatrician has a book she is recommending on her website. It is a new book out "Healing Our Autistic Children" by an MD who has a child with Autism, You may be interested in finding out more info on the book. Hope this helps.