19 January 2010

PICC line

Sitting with David while he gets a PICC line inserted into an arm and going to his heart. Right now, it looks like they are going to get him home tomorrow alhtough I am guessing on Thursday.

Watching the nurse prepare and although watching is intriguing, I am so glad that I do not do that work. I could be percise but could I never be steril enough. I want to ask about every step but I don't want to distract her. I really want to get up and watch the nurse closely but again distraction. I sit here typing with a mask on -- oh, I don't like masks either -- worried the the tapping of the keyboard is a distraction.

How quiet can a scribbler be?

David's status right now is 1a, at home with this medication it will be 1b. This is better than a 2 which he has been, but . . . . where are the hearts?

The nurse said it would take 45 minutes but it has been less than 20 and she is cleaning up. "Went right in" she says. I fell like this is a good sign. Sign of what? Who knows.

Home would be great. Or maybe by preparing David to go home, a new heart will appear.

3 comments:

Traci said...

The nurse could practically do it in her sleep, you weren't a distraction. I wish I could have coached you; I would have told you to get up and look and ask all the questions that you wanted. The nurse wouldn't have minded. Honest.

1a....1b.....2?

Can you tell us what this means? Are the ratings

1, 1a, 1b, 2, 2a, 2b? Something different?

Curious.

Thanks for teaching us. So glad he's coming home.

Love,
Traci

Traci said...

The nurse could practically do it in her sleep, you weren't a distraction. I wish I could have coached you; I would have told you to get up and look and ask all the questions that you wanted. The nurse wouldn't have minded. Honest.

1a....1b.....2?

Can you tell us what this means? Are the ratings

1, 1a, 1b, 2, 2a, 2b? Something different?

Curious.

Thanks for teaching us. So glad he's coming home.

Love,
Traci

Anonymous said...

Your friend is right, you would not be a distraction. When Mom was in the hospital and the nurses would come in take readings then the radiation I asked all kinds of questions. They did not mind and told me it was okay. I am glade David is coming home hope he is not home long when he gets the beep to go for a new heart. Always remember by thoughts and prayers are with all of you. If you need anything just call.
Love,
Carol