27 January 2011

I wrote this to a friend today, and with a bit of editing, this is where I am at today:

I was so sick for my birthday -- I told a friend that I couldn't even grieve that David was not here for the first time in 30+ years. I will reserve next birthday for that. Today, I am happy to have a head off the pillow and to want to wash dishes and fold clothes. Nothing like enjoying little things.

And of course, it is snowing. I am cocooned into my house and I am loving it.

The longer that I live the more I see how the opportunities to love and cherish should not be ignored. They don't litter the path but are more apparent when seen with an open heart. I believe that there is something that draws us together. Call it God, the Universe, Spirit, a soul's longing, whatever. We are part of a whole that informs, calls out, exhorts us to make love the answer and the reason.

As I write this, I am reminded of the joke about the man and the flood that eventually kills him. Upon arriving in heaven, the man marched over to God and said, "I had faith in you, I prayed to you to save me, and yet you did nothing. Why?" God gave him a puzzled look, and replied "I sent you two boats and a helicopter, what more did you expect?"

That's where I am today, chuckling with and at a god who would look at me exasperated and say, what more did you expect?

No comments: